Here’s Why You Should Move to Coronado
Coronado Island is made up of many types of homes in various areas and pockets of the community! From condominium complexes and small beach bungalows, to incredible estates over looking the ocean, Coronado features a little bit of everything! The beautiful city of Coronado is divided up into three distinct sectors:
- The Coronado Village: With the Hotel Del as the main public attraction, the Coronado Village is comprised of shops, restaurants, and many detached and attached homes throughout. From Ocean Lane that looks across the Pacific Ocean, to 1st Street that captures stunning downtown San Diego views across the San Diego Bay, there is a wide variety of properties and price points throughout the entire Village. Residents here love the small town feel, bike rides, community events, and numerous activities to enjoy. The median price in 2020 for a detached home in the Village was $2,237,500 while an attached home was $1,335,000.
- The Coronado Cays: A wonderful and very unique community within Coronado, the Cays is located just 3miles south of the Village and has both detached and attached properties, many that have their own boat docks just steps from their respective homes, catering to the nautical family that loves their boats, fishing, jet skis, sailing, and more. Here, you will also find a great resort hotel and conference center, Lowe’s Coronado Bay Resort. Many residents of the Cays use this hotel for visiting guests or as member’s to enjoy the fitness center, spa, and restaurants! The median price in the Cays for a detached home in 2020 was $1,937,000 whereas an attached home was $1,017,000.
- The Coronado Shores: Located next to the historic Hotel Del, the “Shores” are made up of 10 beautiful white towers, each with 14 floors and totaling nearly 1500 total condominium units. The complex, built in the mid 1970s, features many benefits from doormen, 4 pools, workout facilities, and food and beverage service. These condos are known for their stunning bay and ocean views, as the complex is as close to the beach as you can get! Homes in the Shores range from 1bedroom units under $1MM, to incredible 3bedroom units over $3M. In 2020, the median price for a condo in the Shores was $1,856,000.
The Current Market in Coronado
Currently, Coronado is experiencing incredibly low inventory like much of San Diego. While being one of the most desired places to live in the US, the continued demand and lack of inventory has caused many buyers to be forced to be patient as they wait for homes to come on the market. In years past, Coronado as a whole typically will carry 110-150 active listings. This year, that number was nearly half, showcasing just 65 available properties (attached and detached) on the MLS.
With inventory falling nearly 50% over the last 6months in Coronado, pricing has remained steady, with minimal changes in both median sales prices and prices per square foot.
Coronado (92118 zip code) as a whole saw a median sales price in December 2020 just shy of $1,800,000 with the Village neighborhoods slightly higher at $1,965,000. These numbers show a steady and moderate increase as compared to December of 2019, where our local market in 92118 had a median sales price of $1,700,000 and $1,892,000 in the Village neighborhoods. At 4-6% appreciation, Coronado is considered a great market to own in, as most national averages are below 4% as reported by Black Knight.
We anticipate inventory to slowly climb and increase through the warmer months, and pricing to remain stable. With low interest rates and low inventory, being ready to act quickly when a good opportunity arises with strategically written offers will prove to be key in turning a house into your own beautiful Coronado home!
- Coronado Beach: also known as Central Beach, is the main beach for locals and visitors alike. This gorgeous, top rated beach in the country, is home to warm sand, an occasionally good surf break, and lifeguard services and restrooms. As a gorgeous backdrop to some of the finest homes in Coronado, this beach runs along Ocean Boulevard. A popular spot to catch a beautiful neon sunset nearly any day of the year!
- Dog Beach: located at the most west end of Coronado Beach, be prepared for your furry four legged friends to run freely off leash, digging, jumping in waves, and chasing tennis balls, here at “Dog Beach”. One of the last off leash beaches in Southern California!
- Stan’s Beach: Named after the incredible local legend, surf instructor, friend and father, Stan Searfus, Stan’s Beach is situated directly in front of the Coronado Shores. A very popular spot for families to enjoy a beach day, Stan’s Beach has fairly good parking available and is large enough to always find your own space to spread out. One of our favorite summer spots!
- Silver Strand State Beach: Located directly across from the Coronado Cays, Silver Strand State Beach is an incredibly beautiful public beach. Here, you can find a State Park ran campground as well! Hotel guests at the Lowes Resort enjoy pedestrian tunnels to go to and from the Lowes Resort, as well as Cays residents looking to escape for a warm beach day.
- Breakers Beach: Military credentials or clearance required, Breakers Beach is a beautiful and typically empty beach located on Navy property just over the boundary next to Dog Beach. If you find yourself here, you will most likely feel like you are on a private beach all to yourself, and we thank you or your family for their service! A very well deserved private beach to our service men and women!
Coronado has many incredible restaurants and local spots to grab a bite and a drink! Here’s a quick list of our favorites!
- Leroy’s Kitchen and Lounge: A great spot centrally located on Orange Ave, Leroy’s a fun and friendly restaurant with excellent dishes and a great happy hour! A wonderful “New American” menu will keep you coming back! Order our favorite appetizer, the Brussel Sprouts, or go big with a delicious Bavarian Pretzel. Check their calendar for live music too!
- Il Fornaio Coronado: Need great food but have to have the WOW factor with a view too? Il Fornaio is hard to beat, located just feet from the waters of the San Diego Bay. Enjoy some of the finest Italian dishes and wine while overlooking breathtaking views across the bay to downtown SanDiego. Arrive early for a great a happy hour in the bar!
- Burger Lounge: Crunched on time and craving a juicy burger? Look no further than Burger Lounge, conveniently located in the heart of the Village on Orange Ave! We highly recommend the onion rings along side a grass-fed burger!
- Little Frenchie: one of the newer restaurants to hit Orange Ave, Little Frenchie is a super fun culinary experience hard to find anywhere else! Quiche and French Toast are the hard hitters for breakfast, while their Braised Short Rib brings home the gold for lunch or dinner. Need a small snack? A cheese board with a glass of wine on the patio will not disappoint!
- The Henry: As delicious as it is stunning, the Henry has the Island buzzing! From their walk up window serving coffee and baked goods, to sit down service will a full menu, the Henry is always a must while in Coronado. Pair any craft cocktail at the bar with Sam’s Burger, or our favorite appetizer, Spicy Tuna and Crispy Rice, and you’ll be set!
- Serrano’s: craving a little spice? A margarita? Look no further. Serrano’s is a newer Mexican restaurant in one of the most impressive restaurant spaces on the Island. Our absolutely favorite is splitting the taco sampler. You’ve never had tacos like this!
- Saiko Sushi: There are a couple great sushi spots around the Island, but out favorite is Saiko, located on Orange Ave near the Ferry Landing. Another great happy hour spot, we highly recommend the Black Belt Roll and the Crown Roll!
Catch a Play at Lamb’s Players Theatre– an absolutely iconic theatre about to celebrate their 50th anniversary, Lambs is home to some of the most incredible, comical, and professional plays in San Diego. Always a great choice!
Tee it up at Coronado Municipal Golf Course– a public golf course with incredible bay views, Coronado Municipal Golf Course is a full length, 18 hole golf course with practice facilities. Tee times go fast, so plan ahead if you’re looking to play here.
Enjoy a Live Concert at Spreckels Park- quite possibly the most well known park in Coronado, Spreckles Park is known for their incredible live “Concerts in the Park” which run every Sunday evening in the Summer months. Large trees, a newly udated playgroud, and picnic tables make Spreckles Park a perfect place to relax!
Glorietta Bay Park- with a calm sandy beach and the largest public park in all of Coronado, Glorietta Bay Park is situated on the SD Bay near the base of the Coronado Bridge. Large baseball fields, a giant playground, and many areas to spread out and enjoy a picnic (with great views!) make this a fun setting for a sunny afternoon. Dont forget to check out the skate park here ran by the City of Coronado Parks and Recreation Department!
Take a Coronado Ferry ride– Hop on a beautiful Ferry and enjoy a quick cruise in the San Diego Bay. Beyond the Coronado Ferry Landing, terminal stops include the Broadway Pier and San Diego Convention Center. Enjoy countless restaurants, shopping, and views at all three locations!
One of the top-rated school systems in California, Coronado Unified School District is a very appealing option for families in Coronado.
Village Elementary School | Grades: K-5: A great option for elementary children, Village Elementary is centrally located in the Village and typically carries a 800-900 student count. An excellent school with a 8/10 rating on GreatSchools.org. Test scoring here with students is 20-30% higher than the state average! Nice job kids!
Silver Strand Elementary School | Grades K-5: Located in the Coronado Cays and part of the Coronado Unified School District, Silver Strand Elementary typically has 300-350 students enrolled. A wonderful option with test scores far above the state average, Silver Strand Elementary most recently had a 9/10 rating on GreatSchools.org. Way to go!
Coronado Middle School | Grades: 6-8: Coronado Middle School, located across the street from Village Elementary School, is a wonderful school for grades 6-8 and is located in the heart of the Village as well. Most recently, they carried a 9/10 rating on GreatSchools.org. Test scores at this school are far above the state average too!
Coronado High School | Grades: 9-12: Situated directly next the elementary school and middle school, Coronado High School is a top rated high school with a 95% 4year graduation rate. Whoa! That’s 10% higher than the state average. Additionally, they score in at a 10/10 on GreatSchools.org and shatter state averages with ACT Readiness rates. College here we come! Nice!
Beyond the public school system located here, there are several great private options as well! A Montessori School and private option of Graham Memorial for PreK and Kindergarten, Silver Strand State Pre-School in the Cays, Sacred Heart Parish School for K-8th, and Christ Church Day School for K-6th round out the private options. These private school are all great options, but are unrated on GreatSchools.org. We highly recommend a private tour for those families interested!
Crime and Safety
Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)
Coronado violent crime is 11.7. (The US average is 22.7)
Coronado property crime is 28.5. (The US average is 35.4)
Overall, Coronado is a very safe place to live and raise a family. The Coronado Police Department is centrally located on the Island and very responsive and involved in keeping the community safe! Additionally, Coronado has their own Fire Department in the Village and the Cays, along with EMT services and a local hospital.
Jobs and Commuting
Coronado is very diverse in jobs and careers offered locally! Due to the high tourist demand, many positions in hospitality are continuously open and highly demanded! With many business complexes, professional business owners love calling Coronado home to their companies and small businesses as well. Additionally, those working off the Island or “over the bridge” love the simplicity of getting to downtown San Diego in less than 5 minutes, or even a quick Ferry ride across the San Diego bay to commute! Now that’s a fun way to start and end your day! Need to fly out of town? The San Diego International Airport is less than 3.5mi away. Talk about location!
So, are you ready to move to Coronado yet? Contact one of our Coronado real estate agents today to get the conversation started!